This year my sisters and I are doing homeschooling. We are not using a curriculum, instead we are making up what we do. We need to complete a minimum of 900 hours of schoolwork a year. My favorite subjects are reading and writing, so I will be writing about some of the books I have been reading recently.

This is our usual daily schedule, but some days like today we do things completely different.

In the morning we read our bible, and write in a quiet time journal.

Then in different orders we do math, silent reading, reading with mom, story of the world, sometimes typing and states and countries on the computer.

At around 11:15-11:30 am, we make lunch, which usually includes homemade salsa or
guacamole.

Then we eat lunch and have a small break.

If we haven’t already completed our 5 hours of school work that day, we will do more.

Mom lets us count gardening and cleaning around the house.

We also might be getting a tortoise, which you can learn more about on my sister Ava’s blog.

What is/was your favorite subject in school?

28 thoughts to “Homeschooling is fun!!!

• Deborah

My favorite subject in school was History. It still is! Tomorrow, I start sixth grade for the 15th time. 😀

Reading and Writing were close seconds…and you rather use both of them in History, so it works. 🙂

Happy Homeschooling Year!

~Deborah

• Jolie

My favorite subjects were English and Spanish. (Maybe that’s why I became a Spanish teacher?)

• ellen

I like/liked writing, reading and psychology which came later in school — I still enjoy them all but I seem to only write on a computer these days — seems odd to me but i am ‘old’ LOL

• Beth

I like reading a lot. We had a machine that would play stories on a screen, and the teacher could set the speed to teach me speed reading. I really enjoyed that, since I was fast at that and not much else! Now I like learning about bookkeeping and office management, which is what I do at work. I learn as I go and I find that to suit my style very much!

• Melissa

My favorite subject was reading. I loved reading and still do. I remember reading my Mom’s Nancy Drew books. They were great. I can’t wait for my daughter to read them. If you would ever like to read them I would be happy to let you borrow them. 🙂

• Melissa

I really have always loved my English classes – and my political science classes, but I didn’t have any of those until I was in college. Have fun with the blogging!

• Nina Taviano

art DUH! you read my blog or else you lost your brain. and remeber i don’t make salsa or gaucamole. BECAUSE i’m telling you this because you wrote sisters.

• Olivia Taviano

I did read your blog, and I wasn’t only asking you! Sassiness can lead to a LOT of math home work. Theres something for you to think about now that I know that you don’t love math. We can skip your book, and work on your place value up to trillions!!!
      Let’s start with this what is this number…?
      1,243,867,728,019

• Cheryl Pickett

I liked reading and writing a lot in school. I also liked science when it had to do with the environment or animals.

I don’t know if you remember meeting me at your 52 zoo party, but I combined all of the above in my book Creation Inspirations :-).

• Carolyn Hensley

My favorite subject was Home Economics. Now adays they call it something different but what we learned was how to cook, bake, and sew. As for “regular” classes I liked English because we read books, wrote poetry, and essays!

• Jennifer Bale

Hm…favorite subject… I looked forward to History/Social Studies/Government classes along with certain science classes (the ones when they let you touch stuff). At your homeschool my favorite subject would be lunch. Guacamole and salsa sound a-MAZING.

• Colleen

I liked Algebra the best:) However, if they counted lunch and recess, those would probably have been on the top of my list:)

• Jen Hanson

Umm… can I please come to your house for lunch? Salsa for lunch? Yes please!

P.S. I always loved reading too. That was one great thing about home schooling – I could read lots and lots of books (ones that I actually enjoyed and picked myself!).

• Ali

My first love was math! I was a math major in college before jumping ship and switching to english. I can’t wait to hear more about the tortoise.

• Elizabeth

I LOVED reading and writing-still do! Math was my least favorite-still is! But I love all kinds of learning and school was always fun for me. I know I would have loved homeschooling, but I definitely would have slept in everyday and started school around noon.

• Ruth

My favorite subject was math, and although I still like it a lot, I really enjoy reading now. I am homeschooling my kids too, but they are only in 1st grade & kindergarten. I also have a 2 year old who thinks he can do whatever the big kids do, so he “does school” too. 🙂 I like the flexibility of homeschooling. Thanks for blogging! I look forward to following along!

• Danielle

Hey Olivia! Really great blog post, I can’t wait to hear more about your homeschooling adventures this year! My favorite subject in school was history, I love hearing stories of other places around the world and what has happened in civilization and culture to bring us to where we are today.

• Grandma T.

Phys. Ed ~ Industrial Arts ~ Art…..Home Ec. …

• Stephanie

My favorite class was Social Studies. 🙂

Oh… and I owned a tortoise when I was your age! 😀 Her name was Scooter.

• Amanda Rae

Hmm in high school I loved my great books class. We read books like the Iliad and the Odysey, discussed and wrote papers 🙂 and in college I loved my bible classes and personal health. PH was fun, interactive, and practical 🙂

• Suzy Louk

My favorite subject was art! It was the highlite of my school careeer and it brings me lots of joy in my grown up life as well. Love that you and your sisters are blogging. 🙂

• Sharon

My favorite subject? Hmm, that’s a hard one. To be honest, I loved school and most of my classes/subject. I can say I did not like history. It’s something I’ve never done well in. If I had to choose a favorite, I’d say music or reading in homeroom. I’m so excited to follow your blog!

• Chris Yoder

Wow, Livi! Sounds like you’re getting off to a great start! I wonder where you got your love for reading and writing?:). Looking forward to hearing about all you’re doing.

• Olivia Taviano

Did my Mom get her reading and writing from you?

• Pam

I want some homemade salsa. Can I come over for lunch some day soon?

• Olivia Taviano

You can come over any day! If you think it would be worth skipping some work:)

• Jennifer Griffin

So excited for you guys! We love homeschooling at our house! Noah is 11 and his newest excitement is Botany! He loves studying plants and can’t wait! He enjoy animals more but, he is always studying or catching those. One of my favorite things to read was…you and your sister in the comments! 🙂 Too funny!!!

• Holly

READING and music! 🙂 I must say that I’m a big jealous that you get to make guacamole and salsa for lunch! That sounds delicious. Hope you continue to read and learn ALOT this year……and make many family memories. Hugs.